Coordinated by AAE (partner 2), the project activities, results and achievements are disseminated and communicated by all partners within national and international academic, hospital, and commercial arenas. Activities include a project website, media channels (newspaper, radio, TV), scientific publications, trade magazines, academic and professional conferences and trade shows, professional social networks (ResearchGate, LinkedIn), workshops, technology transfer, IPR and patents, medical device approvals, GMP and ISO certification, and contact with national health authorities and patient organizations. The External Advisory Board also serves a key role in developing strategies to maximize utilization of the results. Dissemination and communication activities involve all the partners, each acting toward specific target groups according to its expertise and relative acquaintance within different sectors. Dissemination and communication activities are listed below.
Popular science articles
- Therapies to help the blind and visually impaired. In March 2018, the ARREST BLINDESS Project Coordinator Neil Lagali published a popular scientific summary article in the European publication SciTechEuropa Quarterly (Published by EU Networks). According to the publisher, the article has the following reach:
– 245,343 page views of this website between February 1st 2018 and 31st January 2019.
– 103,886 key individuals such as policymakers and academics throughout the EU and the rest of the world currently receive this publication.
- Behaegel J, Ní Dhubhghaill S, Koppen C, Zakaria N, “Safety of Cultivated Limbal Epithelial Stem Cell Transplantation for Human Corneal Regeneration“, Stem Cells International 2017;5:1-11, doi: 10.1155/2017/6978253.
- Hos D, Tuac O, Schaub F, Stanzel TP, Schrittenlocher S, Hellmich M, Bachmann BO, Cursiefen C, “Incidence and Clinical Course of Immune Reactions after Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty: Retrospective Analysis of 1000 Consecutive Eyes“, Ophthalmology 2017;124:512-518, doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2016.12.2017
- Haagdorens M, Behaegel J, Rozema J, Van Gerwen V, Michiels S, Ní Dhubhghaill S, Tassignon MJ, Zakaria N. A, “A method for quantifying limbal stem cell niches using OCT imaging“, British Journal of Ophthalmology 2017;101. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2016-309549
- Spinozzi D, Miron A, Bruinsma M, Lie JT, Dapena I, Oellerich S, Melles GRJ, “Improving the success rate of human corneal endothelial cell cultures from single donor corneas with stabilization medium“, Cell Tissue Bank 2018;19:9-17. doi: 10.1007/s10561-017-9665-y.
- Notara M, Behboudifard S, Kluth MA, Maßlo C, Ganss C, Frank MH, Schumacher B, Cursiefen C, “UV light-blocking contact lenses protect against short-term UVB-induced limbal stem cell niche damage and inflammation”, Scientific Reports 2018;8:12564, doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-30021-8
- Miron A, Spinozzi D, Bruinsma M, Lie JT, Birbal RS, Baydoun L, Oellerich S, Melles GRJ, “Asymmetrical endothelial cell migration from in vitro Quarter-Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty grafts”, Acta Ophthalmologica 2018;96(8):828-833, doi: 10.1111/aos.13841
- Banerjee A, Lindenmair A, Steinborn R, Dumitrescu SD, Hennerbichler S, Kozlov AV, Redl H, Wolbank S, Weidinger A, “Oxygen Tension Strongly Influences Metabolic Parameters and the Release of Interleukin-6 of Human Amniotic Mesenchymal Stromal Cells In Vitro”, Stem Cells International 2018;9502451, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9502451
- Hou Y, Le VNH, Tóth G, Sebastian Siebelmann, Jens Horstmann, Tim Gabriel, Felix Bock, Claus Cursiefen, “UV light crosslinking regresses mature corneal blood and lymphatic vessels and promotes subsequent high-risk corneal transplant survival”, American Journal of Transplantation 2018;18:2873-2884, doi: 10.1111/ajt.14874
- Le VNH, Schneider A-C, Scholz R, Bock F, Cursiefen C, “Fine Needle-Diathermy Regresses Pathological Corneal (Lymph)Angiogenesis and Promotes High-Risk Corneal Transplant Survival”, Scientific Reports 2018;8:5707, doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-24037-3
- Horstmann J, Schulz-Hildebrandt H, Bock F, Siebelmann S, Lankenau E, Hüttmann G, Steven P, Cursiefen C, “Label-Free In Vivo Imaging of Corneal Lymphatic Vessels Using Microscopic Optical Coherence Tomography”, Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science 2017;58:5880-5886, doi: 10.1167/iovs.17-22286
- Hou Y, Le VNH, Clahsen T, Schneider A-C, Bock F, Cursiefen C, “Photodynamic Therapy Leads to Time-Dependent Regression of Pathologic Corneal (Lymph) Angiogenesis and Promotes High-Risk Corneal Allograft Survival”, Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science 2017;58:5862-5869, doi: 10.1167/iovs.17-22904
- Le VNH, Hou Y, Horstmann J, Bock F, Cursiefen C, “Novel Method to Detect Corneal Lymphatic Vessels In Vivo by Intrastromal Injection of Fluorescein”, Cornea 2018;37(2):267–271, doi: 10.1097/ico.0000000000001444
- Siebelmann S, Scholz P, Sonnenschein S, Bachmann B, Matthaei M, Cursiefen C, Heindl LM, “Anterior segment optical coherence tomography for the diagnosis of corneal dystrophies according to the IC3D classification”, Survey of Ophthalmology 2019;64(2):135-161, doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2017.08.001
- Bech F, González-González O, Artime E, Serrano J, Alcalde I, Gallar J, Merayo-Lloves J, Belmonte C, “Functional and Morphologic Alterations in Mechanical, Polymodal, and Cold Sensory Nerve Fibers of the Cornea Following Photorefractive Keratectomy”, Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science 2018;59:2281-2292, doi: 10.1167/iovs.18-24007
- Spinozzi D, Miron A, Bruinsma M, Dapena I, Lavy I, Binder PS, Rafat M, Oellerich S, Melles GRJ, “Evaluation of the Suitability of Biocompatible Carriers as Artificial Transplants Using Cultured Porcine Corneal Endothelial Cells”, Current Eye Research 2019;44:243-249, doi: 10.1080/02713683.2018.1536215
- Josephine Behaegel (UZA), “Long-term results of standardized, non-xenogenic, cultivated limbal epithelial stem cell transplantations”, poster presentation, Congress of the Academia Ophthalmologica Belgica, 22-24 November 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Interference of TRPA1 function affects background activity of corneal cold thermoreceptors in ageing mice“, European Vision and Eye Research, Nice, France, October 2017.
- Kenn Curt Danniel, Michael Lai, Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, ESCRS, Lisbon, Portugal, 06-11th of October 2017.
- Silke Oellerich (NIIOS), “Perspectives for Transplantation of Laboratory Expanded Endothelial Cells“, EuCornea Meeting, Lisbon, Portugal, 6th of October 2017.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at Nordic Glaucoma Congress, Roskilde, Denmark, 29-30th of September 2017.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at Symposium Swiss Ophthalmology Gesellschaft, Davos, Switzerland, 31 August – 1 September 2017.
- Hans Schuitmaker, Kenn Curt Danniel, Michael Lai (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at World Glaucoma Association, WGS, Helsinki, Finland, 28 June – 1 July 2017.
- Muthukumer Thangavelu (LiU), “Characterization of a collagen-based biomaterial for corneal transplantation: evaluation in a rabbit model“, ARVO annual meeting, Global connection in vision research, Baltimore, USA, 07-11th of May 2017.
- Neil Lagali (LiU), “Progressive aniridia-associated keratopathy phenotype in a Polish cohort – therapeutic implications“, ARVO annual meeting, Global connection in vision research, Baltimore, USA, 07-11th of May 2017.
- Anton Lennikov (LiU), “Selective IκB kinase ß inhibitor IMD-0354 is a potent antineovascular compound in model of corneal neovascularisation in rats“, ARVO annual meeting, Global connection in vision research, Baltimore, USA, 07-11th of May 2017.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at Czech Glaucoma Symposium, Zlin, Czech Republic, 23-24th March 2017.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischschuppen für die Hornhautstromaerzatz“, roll-up together with few samples showed at European Glaucoma Residents Course, EGS, Mainz, Germany, 17-18th February 2017.
- M. Carmen Acosta, Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Corneal Surface Temperature under Perfluorohexyloctane Eye Drops“, Hot topic poster session. 13th Biennial Meeting of the Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Florence, Italy, February 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “I+D+i+T: La importancia de la innovacion y la de transferencia de tecnología: proyectos colaborativos (R+D+i+T: The importance of innovation and technology transfer: collaborative projects)“, Conference. Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, January 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Conceptos actuales en sensibilidad corneal: efectos de la lesión (Current concepts in corneal sensitivity: effects of injury)“, Conference. Instituto de Oftalmobiología Ocular, Universidad de Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain, December 2016.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), “Regenerating the anterior cornea through a standardized transplantation of cultivated limbal stem cells: Results of a phase I/II clinical trial and preliminary results of a phase II clinical trial“, Oral presentation, HFM 272-symposium on “Regenerative Medicine and Advanced Rehabilitation Today and in Future”, Brussels, Belgium, 17-18th of October 2016.
- Claus Cursiefen (UKK), “Corneal Edema: How to Decide Between Descemet-Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty and Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty“, American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), Chicago, 17th October 2016.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), “What’s new in corneal surgery“, Oral presentation, TEC meeting Thea, Wemmel, 11th of October 2016.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Van vissenschub tot Biocornea“, OOG Congress 2016, The Dutch Eye Association, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 8th of October 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Identifying VEGF-independent factors for targeted anti-angiogenic therapy in the cornea“, Presentation, EVER Scientific programme Congress, 06-08th of October 2016.
- Claus Cursiefen (UKK), “Artificial cornea in high risk eyes: Boston Keratoprosthesis”, DOG Meeting (German Ophthalmological Society; www.dog.org), Berlin, 29 September 2016.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), “Long-term results of the phase I/II clinical trial: standardized, non-xenogenic, cultivated limbal stem cell transplantation“, EuCornea Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark, 9-10th of September 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “What is happening in the cornea – in vivo confocal microscopy aspects“, Special focus session on Aniridia (Presentation, session co-chair), EUCornea Congress, Copenhagen, 9th September 2016.
- Claus Cursiefen (UKK), “Recurrent corneal melting after artificial corneal transplantation“, EuCornea, Copenhagen, 4th October 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Imaging limbal stem cell niche degradation and progression of aniridia related keratopathy in several patient cohorts“, Presentation, European Aniridia Conference, Duisburg, Germany, 26-28th of August 2016.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), “Regeneration of the anterior cornea through a transplantation of cultivated limbal epithelial stem cells: Early results of a phase II clinical trial“, Poster presentation, European Aniridia Conference, Duisburg, Germany, 26-28th of August 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), Claus Cursiefen (UKK), “Current and future European research on rare and complex ocular surface diseases“, Presentation, European Aniridia Conference, Duisburg, Germany, 26-28th of August 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Bioengineered collagen scaffolds for corneal stromal keratoplasty. Corneal Regeneration Symposium“, Presentation, session co-moderator, Nordic Ophthalmology Congress (NOK 2016), Århus, Denmark, June 2016.
- Hans Schuitmaker (AAE), “Biocornea: Fischuppen für den Hornhautstromaersatz“, 29th International Congress of German Ophthalmic Surgeons, Nürnberg, Germany, DOC e.V., 9-11th June 2016.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), “Standardized, non-xenogenic, cultivated limbal stem cell transplantation: short- and long-term results of a phase I clinical trial and preliminary results of a phase II multicenter trial“, Oral presentation, Dutch Ophthalmologic PhD Conference, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 19-20th of March 2016.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Peripheral Pain Mechanisms in Pathological Processes Involving Ocular Inflammation and Nerve Injury“, Biology & Pathobiology of the Cornea – Gordon Research Conference, Ventura, California, USA, February 2016.
Workshops and seminars
- Maria Carmen Acosta (UMH), “Ocular Neurobiology: Neural bases of ocular pain“, Vision Science Research Seminar Series. School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, May 2017.
- Arrest Blindness and COST Joining Forces in Corneal Regeneration Research are organising Summer Training School 2017 on Corneal Regeneration at Linköping University, Linköping, Sweden, during 13th and 16th of June 2017.
- Cursiefen C, Jun A (Ed.), “Current Treatment Options for Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy“, Springer 2017.
- Neil Lagali, Update of the Springer Reference book series “Biomedical Engineering – Tissue Engineering-Regeneration”.
- Daniele Spinozzi (NIIOS), “Evaluation of the suitability of biocompatible carriers as artificial transplants using cultured porcine corneal endothelial cells”, ARVO Annual Meeting, Honolulu, USA, 29 April – 2 May 2018
- Alina Miron (NIIOS), “Quarter-DMEK: What is new? From endothelial cell migration to clinical outcome”, NIIOS Cornea Evening, Washington, USA, 13 April 2018
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Bases Neurobiológicas del Dolor Ocular“, Invited Lecture. Faculty of Optics and Optometry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain, December 2017.
- Josephine Behaegel (UZA), “Update on cultivated limbal epithelial transplantation“, Lecture at EuCornea Congress, Lisbon, Portugal, 6-7 October 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez, Maria Carmen Acosta (UMH), “Activity in eye surface sensory neurons is disturbed by injury and inflammation, … and vice versa“, Invited speaker. Special Interest Symposium “ARVO@EVER. Controlling inflammation in the anterior and posterior segment”. European Vision and Eye Research, Nice, France, October 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Optical control of spontaneous electrical activity in guinea pig corneal cold nerve terminals by means of a chemical photoswitch“, Invited lecture at Symposium “Controlling neuronal activity with light: fundamental and therapeutic applications”. 17th National Congress of the Spanish Society of Neuroscience, Alicante, September 2017.
- Josephine Behaegel (UZA), “Regeneration of the anterior cornea through a standardized, non-xenogenic, cultivated limbal stem cell transplantation: Early results of a phase II clinical trial“, Belgian Symposium on Tissue Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, 4-5 May 2017.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Femtosecond lasers in therapeutic corneal surgery“, 31st HSIOIRS International Congress, Athens, Greece, 02-05th of March 2017.
- Josephine Behaegel (UZA), “Regeneration of the anterior cornea through a standardized, non-xenogenic, cultivated limbal stem cell transplantation: case report“, ESCRS Winter Meeting, Maastricht, the Netherlands, 10-12 February 2017.
- M.J. Tassignon, J. Behaegel, M. Haagdorens en N. Zakaria (UZA), “Corneal regeneration – tackling old problems using new technologies”, Research club UZA, Antwerp, Belgium, 8th February 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Altered Electrical Activity of Corneal Sensory Receptor Fibers during Regeneration after Corneal Microkeratome Lesion in the Guinea-Pig“, Invited speaker. Session “Ocular surface diseases: an emerging concern in ophthalmology”. 13th Biennial Meeting of the Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Florence, Italy, February 2017.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Conocer el dolor, avanzar en fisioterapia“, Plenary Lecture. Congreso Nacional de Estudiantes de Fisioterapia, UMH, Sant Joan d’Alacant, Spain, February 2017.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Upprätthållande av transparens i ögats klara fönster för att undvika blindhet (in Swedish)“, Ögonforskningsdagen by Synskadades Riksförbund, Stockholm, Sweden, November 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Technologies of Tomorrow: Stem cell-based lens renewal“, Lecture at ESCRS Congress, ISRS session “Stem cell based lens renewal”, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Framtidens regenerativa behandlingar för att bota hornhinneblindhet (in Swedish)”, Society of European Ophthalmology Award Lecture, Swedish Ophthalmologic Society Annual Meeting, Uppsala, Sweden, August 2016.
- Neil Lagali (LIU), “Tissue engineering in the eye: Regenerative approaches to combat corneal blindness“, Presentation, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute, Vienna, April 2016.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), “Influence of Injury and Inflammation on Eye Sensory Fibers: Functional and Morphological Alterations“, Visiting Professorship Lecture. Harvard Medical School Department of Ophthalmology, Cornea Center of Excellence, Boston, MA, USA, April 2016.
- Juana Gallar Martinez (UMH), Next generation in dry eye and pain therapy: Understanding neural basis of dryness and discomfort sensations, Santen Dry Eye Specialists’ Roundtable Meeting in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA, May 2017.
- Neil Lagali (LiU), Contribution of ARREST BLINDNESS expertise to drug delivery and advanced therapeutics, Nice, France, 1st of February 2017.
- Nadia Zakaria (UZA), LOK meeting (Kortijk) with doctors/peripheral hospitals, 1st of March 2016.
- First flyer has been printed and distributed to the partners. The pdf file can be found here Flyer version 1.
- A PhD student from partner 4 (UZA), Josephine Behaegel, stayed at partner 1 (LiU) for short-term scientific mission between 20th and 24th of February 2017 to learn about in vivo clinical imaging of the corneal limbal region.
- Neil Lagali from partner 1 (LiU) attended training of use of confocal microscope in WP5 at UZA (partner 4), D5.2, 04-06th of April 2016.
- UMH (partner 6) has published a full page article in a regional newspaper with a circulation of 190 000 copies and over 238 000 web readers per day, 22nd of April 2018: http://www.diarioinformacion.com/elche/2018/04/22/banco-mundial-corneas-artificiales/2012121.html.
- UMH (partner 6) has published information about the Ocular Neurobiology Group (ONG) team and their work including information about Arrest Blindness on Newsletter from International Society for Eye Research, Volume 8, Issue 1 / April 2018: https://mailchi.mp/iser/iser-newsletter-september-2093949?e=0ba1c691d0#lab.
- Novaliq (partner 11) announces positive results from Phase 2 clinical trial results evaluating CyclASol in patients with moderate to severe dry eye disease, meeting its primary endpoint with an early onset of action.
- UKK (partner 5) has published information about the project on http://www.for2240.de/arrest-blindness/.
- LiU (partner 1) has published news about the project in the SciTech Europa Quarterly Issue 26 on https://www.scitecheuropa.eu/category/publications/scitech-europa-quarterly. See https://www.scitecheuropa.eu/ for more information about the site. The pdf file can be found here.
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/project/ARREST-BLINDNESS
- LinkedIn Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12028657
- Juana Martinez Gallar (UMH): YouTube video from research group in Alicante (Spain) mentioning ARREST BLINDNESS (from 1:47min).
- Juana Martinez Gallar (UMH): EVER 2017. Prize to the Best Poster of Cornea and Ocular Surface Section.